"By all means keep writing for kids, or for your personal pleasure - I would never deny anyone that - but when it comes to the adult market you’ve had your turn."
"Adult" author Lynn Shepherd on JK Rowling’s writing career
EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH THIS QUOTE:
- The idea that JKR is a commercial writer, and therefore lesser in quality, but that’s okay “for kids” because kids don’t merit better writing
- The idea that JKR is allowed the “lesser” writing venue, but not the “real” stuff for adults
- The idea that JKR should quit writing adult because this person wants her out of the market—as if JKR has no right to write whatever she damn well pleases
- The idea that a reader will only ever buy one book, and that JKR is stealing the whole market and preventing a reader from buying anyone else’s books
- The idea that a reader is so dumb that they will only buy a book because it’s famous/popular as opposed to selecting a book they want to read because they want to read it
- The idea that only kids read kids books, and any adult that reads such novels is a terrible person
- The idea that there is a separation between popular and literary, and a book can only be one or the other
- The idea that this article exists
- I mean really
- What an idiot
- I just wanted to punch things now
A design I made for my local middle school.
Ron and Hermione have this combative but mutual attraction. They will always bicker, there will always be rough edges there, but they are pulled together, each has something the other needs.” - J.K. Rowling.
The old man’s face though
You place too much importance… on the so-called purity of blood. You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.
Book Cover Remakes: The Hunger Games Trilogy (x)
please don’t remove credit